Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Ooh Mommy! Burgers

It's grillin' season. That means at this point I've been through so many varieties of veggie burgers my eyes might fall out. Bland, goopy, crumbly.. most veggies burgers have some major malfunction that makes them impossible to properly stick together, let alone handle the grill (especially when you take out the magical ingredient that helps bind them). After countless iterations -- I've found THE one. The burger. And it's grillable. Done.

I was attemping to explain "umami" as we were enjoying a trial run of these guys and my mother, who was thoroughly enjoying them, exclaimed, "Of course, these definitely have umami, I eat them and say 'Ooh mommy, ooh mommy this is good!'".  It entertained me at the time so I've decided to brand these the "Ooh Mommy Burgers".

1 c almonds
1 c cooked lentils (~1/2 c dried)
1 c cooked whole grain (I used millet but quinoa or rice would work great, again 1/2ish c dried)
1/2 c onion, medium diced
1/2 c sundried tomatoes, diced
1/4 c kalamata olives, cursorily chopped
2 T tamari
2 T tomato paste
2 T balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, cursorily chopped
1/2 t rosemary
1/2 t tarragon
1/4 t liquid smoke

First put just the almonds in a food processor (fitted with an S blade) and chop until reletively fine.  Add remaining ingredients and pulse to mix well then run the processor until somewhat smooshy but still defined.. i.e. the lentils should be less than whole but almond pieces should still be distinguishable.  Throw the whole processor bowl in the fridge for 20 minutes then shape into patties and GRILL 'em.  You could of course fry them or bake them as well. But come on.

No comments:

Post a Comment