Monday, July 12, 2010

Garbage Plates

Hailing from the more rural areas of Upstate New York, I’ve become accustomed to enjoying only the best of the worst foods. I say this because the region seems to have an affinity for hot dogs and fine cuisine containing an excess of mayonnaise. Rochester in particular is home to one of the most unique dishes, the Garbage Plate. Traditionally this is an underlayment of your choice of home fries, baked beans, or macaroni salad, then two hot dogs (or hamburgers, sausage, etc.). Atop lies an awkwardly spicy sauce whose secret ingredient is supposedly grill scrapings. The Garbage Plate even earned a short spot on Food Network, although I can’t remember the show.
Uncomfortable with the idea of saying goodbye to Garbage Plates when leaving meat behind, in an attempt to live more sustainably, amongst other reasons, I needed to try to recreate this dish. The result was a delicious and not terribly unhealthy high protein meal that honestly, doesn’t taste much like a Garbage Plate. I’m continuously evolving this recipe to more accurately mimic its flavor. In this current state, its still quite good and gives me the same feeling as if I had ate 6 hot dogs, which is what I think I was ultimately seeking.
Generally I throw random spices in, but for the purpose of writing a recipe, I will assign values. First, the sauce:
1 chopped white onion
3 cloves garlic
2 or 3 cups of diced tofu, pan fried
1 can of tomato paste, no preference of can size
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cloves
¼ tsp allspice
¼ tsp NM green chili powder, if you have it (that’s kind of a stretch)
I cook in cast iron, so pans are usually pre-oiled, but I suggest sautéing the onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add all remaining ingredients, except tofu.  Keep it simmering for 20 minutes or so, preferably with a lid. Adding water will improve the consistency I think and help it stay moist while cooking. Add in cooked tofu late, just before you are ready to go.

I personally like Garbage Plates with baked beans and potatoes, but feel free to chose whatever sides suit you. Half and half spreading the plate with your sides, then put a (veggie) burger or dog on top and smother with the sauce. Adding some fresh onions and mustard is traditional, and I think excessive ketchup really perfects it. Pairs well with stale white processed bread and a watery-light ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment